Studio Assistant and Materials Sourcing Intern
RAIR is a nonprofit organization that builds awareness about sustainability issues through art and design. Situated inside a construction and demolition waste recycling company in northeast Philadelphia, RAIR offers artists studio space and access to more than 350 tons of materials per day. Since 2010, RAIR has provided a unique platform for artists to work at the intersection of art, industry and sustainability, while producing content that challenges perceptions of waste culture.
RAIR is seeking a part-time Studio Assistant and Material Sourcing Intern to provide hands-on support for our Artist-In-Residency and Special Projects programming. We are located in Northeast Philadelphia, just off of I-95; personal transportation is strongly recommended.
The selected intern will be trained by RAIR staff to follow all safety procedures while working and picking material in the recycling center’s yard during operating hours. RAIR will also provide training to give tours of the facility. A cursory understanding of the facility’s operations will be explained, and you will be expected to know how the artist operate within the facility.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Assist artist in residence in the studio, as needed;
- Pick and stage materials from the recycling center’s yard for special projects;
- Maintain shop tools and inventory, including the ordering of supplies;
- Assist with tours of the facility at minimum of one Saturday per month and as requested.
- Have, at minimum, 1 year of basic experience working in a wood shop, additional experience is a plus;
- Be well versed in the proper use and maintenance of wood/metal working tools and be able to articulate their safe usage;
- Experience working both independently and collaboratively;
- Ability to be self-motivated, efficiently multi-task and prioritize workload;
- Excellent communication skills - oral, written, and listening;
- Customer service skills.
This is a part time (8-10 hours per week) unpaid internship position starting in May/June 2016. This is the perfect opportunity for the right individual to join a growing, exciting non-profit and a committed team of employees. RAIR is well-recognized in the Philadelphia arts community for bridging art, industry and sustainability, and we are seeking the best candidate to help us achieve our goals.
Resumes must be submitted to be considered: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
More information on RAIR can be found at www.rairphilly.org.